Practice Facility Upgrade – Member Update, Project Finalisation
MEMBER UPDATE – PROJECT FINALISATION
At the June Board Meeting the decision to proceed with the Upgrade of the Putting and Chipping Greens was confirmed, with the following agreed:
- Project Scope Putting Green – Increase the size of the putting green by replacing the green with a new green built to USGA specifications, adjustments to putting green levels to produce more variety and a better representation of the strategic challenges on the golf course, to improve efficiency in maintenance requirements, and increase the size of the green by removing hedge between the Chipping and Putting Green.
- Project Scope Chipping Green – Utilising the limited space available produce a chipping green to USGA specifications that provided a variety of shot options that better represented strategic challenges on the golf course.
- Project Budget – $200,000 (including contingency)
- Project Designer – James Wilcher
- Project Contractor – M D Constructions
- Project Manager – Course Superintendent, Dominic Yates
A Project Control Group comprising President, Captain, Treasurer, General Manager, Superintendent and Greens Chair was established for day to day oversight of the Project. This facilitated real time decision making. Weekly updates were circulated for the first 7 weeks of the Project and on an “as required” basis after that time.
KEY FEATURES OF PROJECT
- 2 USGA Specification Greens with significantly enhanced practice amenity and space;
- Improved access to Practice Nets;
- The project commenced 22nd July with an estimated timeline for delivery of:
- 8-10 weeks of construction
- 10-12 weeks of growing in
- Estimated completion date: 2nd December 2019
- More than 2,000 tonnes of materials moved comprising 600 tonnes of clay for sub-base, 200 tonnes of 7mm drainage gravel, 650 tonnes of sand for growing level, (with VENM Certification) and approximately 600 tonnes of excavated sand and soil transported to 14th and 16th flyovers to improve the shape of these areas;
- Installation of new generation sprinkler controls and sensors in the new greens;
- The project was completed and opened for member and guest use on 27th November 2019 (one week ahead of schedule).
- The Project has been delivered within the Board approved Budget of $200,000 advised in the President’s correspondence to Members in June this year.
- As of 11th December the project expenditure is $178,000 with no significant invoices outstanding.
- Outstanding aspects of the project will be considered in January 2020 and addressed accordingly, being:
- Consideration of rubber matting on the concrete surface between the putting green and clubhouse.
- Restoration of the roadway between the putting green and chipping green.
- Course furniture required in the new practice precinct.
The Board would like to commend Dominic Yates and his team and their ability to deliver this project on time, on budget, and while maintaining the golf course under difficult weather conditions and coinciding with Course renovations.
Member Funding Contribution
To facilitate this project all playing members were asked to contribute $15 / month for the FY2020 Financial year, $180 in total. This contribution commenced in July 2019 and will run to June 2020 inclusive. It is forecast that this contribution will generate $150,000 toward the completed project with the remainder funded out of the Clubs P&L. To date $61,000 has been generated from the Member Contribution.
The Board would like to thank all members for their support of this project and the contribution.
PRACTICE PUTTING AND CHIPPING GREEN
FINAL PROJECT TASK SCHEDULE REPORT 27 NOVEMBER 2019